
While there hasn't been as much time to write lately, I thought I should let you know that Lance is still laughing, screaming, running, and keeping all of us on our toes as well as entertained. Bob swears that Lance has a "radar" system that alerts him if anything "new" appears within his reach . . . whether it's a tool that Bob is working with or, for example, a steak knife . . . that happened during dinner last night. Lance had finished dinner; Bob & I were sitting at the table eating, chatting, etc. . . . Tamara was on the sofa with Alexis. Lance was running around the room playing . . . Bob was sitting with his forearms propped against the table - his arm practically on top of the steak knife . . . in one swift move, Lance appeared from nowhere, reached UNDER Bob's arm, and swiped the knife. Bob & Tamara couldn't see what happened . . . fortunately, I COULD and we quickly retrieved the knife. Lance still hasn't established names for Bob and me . . . he doesn't really call us anything. HOWEVER, some weeks ago, he heard me loudly calling Bob from another room and thought that was great fun. So, he went around saying "BAH... BAH...BAH." In the past couple of weeks, he has been doing that more often . . . now, not just repeating when he hears me say it, but starting up the "BAH ... BAH ... BAH" on his own sometimes when he sees Bob. Bob may just be called Bob!!! The other night, Jack, Bob, & I were sitting at the dining table . . . Tamara had been feeding Alexis . . . Lance was running around "being Lance." I noticed that Tamara was now in the kitchen fixing her plate for dinner. I got up from the table, saw that Lance was playing with Alexis' swing . . . in fact, he had taken the towel that was draped across the swing and pulled the sides up, tucked them into the seat, and was patting them in place. Looking around the room, I didn't see Alexis on the sofa or anything and thought, perhaps, that Tamara put Alexis in the bedroom. I looked again at Lance patting the towel and rocking the swing . . . and decided that a peek under the towel was warranted. Sure enough! . . . there was baby Alexis! Lance doesn't miss a beat! It must have only been SECONDS between the time that Tamara placed her in the swing and when he had completely covered her up! Tamara must have been napping one afternoon while I was watching Lance.

I was sitting on the sofa in the family room, watching TV (with hurricane Katrina moving through Florida and into the Gulf, probably The Weather Channel) . . . and I look up to see him standing in the middle of the room. He breaks out into a big smile (you know the one . . . the "I'm not supposed to do this, but it's so much fun, I'm doing it anyway" smile), hesitates for a moment, then throws a whole handful of dog food bits across the room. I jump up to scold him. Sternly, I tell him that he HAS to pick up EVERY piece and put it back into Scout's bowl . . . only, before he can pick up the first piece, Scout has risen from his reclining position and proceeding to suck up every morsel like a doggie vacuum cleaner. There are no morsels left and the floor is bare . . . Lance looks at me . . . I look at him . . . both speechless . . . at that that point what's there to do????? Sooooooooo . . . . sliding by with THAT stunt, a few minutes later, again I look up from the TV (still The Weather Channel) . . . just in time to make eye contact with him as he swallowed something. Staring at him for a moment (and him staring at me), I could see that expression of his that means his brain is in overdrive thinking "What to do? What to do? Quick!!! Think!!! What to do???" when suddenly he saw the "light", his expression changed, he held out his hand (which, of course, was filled with dog food morsels), and called "Scout . . . Scout." After all, he's JUST being a sweet child trying to make sure his dog gets fed! Why ELSE would he have ANOTHER handful of dog morsels??? ("Hey, if kids aren't supposed to eat dog food, they shouldn't make it taste so GOOD!!!")
No comments:
Post a Comment